The forerunner of the Mechanicville District Public Library was the L.B. Blakeman Library, begun in 1895 by Principal L.B. Blakeman with the help of his teachers. The library was housed in a school basement and, for many years, had a dual role serving both student and adults.
In the early 1960’s plans for a new high school made no allowances for public library services and, in 1965, a group of citizens started work toward the development of a separate public library. Their dreams came true in 1966, when voters of the school district approved a referendum establishing the Mechanicville District Public Library.
The new library opened in 1967 in what were planned as temporary quarters. For years, mighty efforts were made toward construction of a new building. In July, 1995, voters passed a referendum approving the necessary funds to construct a new library at 190 North Main Street.
View the Mechanicville District Public Library Digital Collection
Visit the Mechanicville District Public Library Website
Mechanicville District Public Library Sub-collections:
Champlain Canal Collection:
The Champlain Canal Collection contains images of the construction of Lock # 2 on the Champlain Canal near Mechanicville, NY. The Champlain Canal is a 60-mile (97 km) canal that connects the south end of Lake Champlain to the Hudson River in New York. It was simultaneously constructed with the Erie Canal however it was updated and modified after the official opening in 1823. The work on Lock # 2 was done between 1910 and 1916.
Colonel Elmer E. Ellsworth Collection:
Colonel Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth (April 11, 1837 – May 24, 1861) was a law clerk and United States Army soldier, best known as the first conspicuous casualty of the American Civil War. He grew up in Mechanicville, New York. Items in this collection have been donated throughout the years by various patrons of the Mechanicville District Public Library.
Siciliano Restaurant World War II Veterans Collection:
World War 2 veterans from the Mechanicville, NY area had their photographs taken by Charles Siciliano at his restaurant, Siciliano's located in Mechanicville. The time when the photographs were taken was between 1942-1945. Some of the servicemen were on leave or just out of boot camp.